Last Updated on April 28, 2023
The Mutua Madrid Open stands among the world’s most esteemed tennis tournaments, drawing elite players and enthusiasts from around the globe. As a joint ATP Masters 1000 and WTA 1000 Mandatory event, it holds a prominent position in the professional tennis schedule. In this article, we delve into the ownership structure of the Mutua Madrid Open and examine the numerous sponsors that contribute significantly to the event’s success.
Mutua Madrid Open Owners
The Mutua Madrid Open was previously owned by Romanian billionaire businessman and former ATP professional, Ion Țiriac. Under his ownership from 2009 to 2021, the tournament brought substantial annual benefits to the city of Madrid, exceeding €107 million, according to a 2019 interview with Digi Sport. In 2021, Țiriac sold the tournament to New York-based giants IMG for approximately €390 million.
IMG, an Endeavor company and a global leader in sports, events, media, and fashion, has since added the Mutua Madrid Open to its impressive roster of tennis tournaments. These include the Miami Open and several other ATP and WTA events. With the acquisition, Madrid Trophy Promotion SLU (MTP), the Spanish entity that operates the tournament, is now part of IMG. Gerard Tsobanian, MTP’s CEO and tournament director, serves as Senior Vice President, Tennis Events, IMG, and continues to oversee the day-to-day running of the Mutua Madrid Open.
Mutua Madrid Open Sponsors
The Mutua Madrid Open receives generous support from an array of sponsors, including:
- Mutua: As the title sponsor of the event, Mutua is a leading Spanish insurance company offering a wide range of products and services. Their sponsorship helps with financial support and promotion of the tournament, highlighting their commitment to sports.
- Ayuntamiento de Madrid: The Madrid City Council is dedicated to promoting sports and tourism in the city, and their sponsorship of the Mutua Madrid Open demonstrates this commitment. They provide logistical support and work closely with the organizers to ensure a successful event.
- Hologic: This global medical technology company specializes in women’s health, offering innovative diagnostic and surgical solutions. Their sponsorship reflects their dedication to supporting health and wellness initiatives in sports.
- Estrella Damm: A popular Spanish beer brand, Estrella Damm is an official supplier of the tournament, providing beverages for the attendees and players. Their involvement showcases their dedication to supporting sports and entertainment events.
- Cosentino: As a global leader in innovative architectural surfaces, Cosentino’s sponsorship helps elevate the visual appeal and aesthetics of the tournament venues. They supply high-quality materials for use in various areas throughout the event.
- Emirates: Serving as the official airline partner of the event, the Dubai-based airline offers exclusive travel deals for players, guests, and fans attending the tournament. Their sponsorship ensures seamless transportation for all involved.
- Orange: This multinational telecommunications corporation supports the Mutua Madrid Open through their technology expertise and services. Their sponsorship aids in providing reliable communication and connectivity throughout the event.
- Openbank: A digital bank and financial sponsor of the tournament, Openbank contributes to the financial stability of the event while also offering banking solutions and services to the organizers, players, and staff.
- Marca: As a Spanish daily sports newspaper, Marca provides comprehensive media coverage for the event, keeping fans up to date with the latest news, results, and highlights from the tournament.
- ABC: Another Spanish national daily newspaper, ABC offers additional media support by reporting on the tournament and promoting the event through their news platform.
- Longi Solar: A leading global solar technology company, Longi Solar contributes to the sustainability efforts of the event by providing clean energy solutions and promoting environmentally friendly practices.
- Mercedes-Benz: The luxury automobile manufacturer serves as the official vehicle provider for the tournament, offering transportation for players, VIPs, and officials throughout the event.
- Anantara: This luxury hotel and resort brand offers comfortable accommodations for players, guests, and tournament staff. Their involvement ensures a high level of hospitality during the event.
- American Express: As the global financial services company and payment partner for the Mutua Madrid Open, American Express provides seamless financial transactions and services for ticket sales, merchandising, and other event-related purchases.
- Lacoste: The iconic French clothing brand serves as the official outfitter of the event, supplying stylish apparel and accessories for players, staff, and volunteers.
- Dunlop: As a global sports equipment manufacturer, Dunlop provides the official tennis balls for the event, ensuring high-quality performance and consistency throughout the tournament.
- Ricoh: This multinational imaging and electronics company offers technology solutions and services to support the event’s logistics, media, and communication needs.
- ONET: As a European leader in facility management services, ONET’s involvement ensures that the tournament venues are well-maintained and run efficiently throughout the event.
- Power Electronics: This global technology company specializes in power electronics and energy conversion, providing energy-efficient solutions to support the event’s sustainability goals.
- Who Sponsors ATP Monte Carlo Masters?
- What Tennis Tournaments Will Be In Spain In 2023?
- Who Owns Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell?
- What is the surface of the Madrid Masters?
- Adecco: A leading global HR solutions provider, Adecco assists with staffing and recruitment services for the tournament, ensuring that the event has the necessary personnel to run smoothly.
- Europcar: As a major car rental company, Europcar offers transportation services for the event, providing a fleet of rental vehicles for players, staff, and attendees to ensure smooth and convenient mobility throughout the tournament.
- ISDIN: A dermatology-focused pharmaceutical company, ISDIN contributes to the event by providing skincare and sun protection products for players and staff. Their involvement highlights the importance of proper skin care and sun protection during outdoor sporting events.
- Prosegur: As a global security company, Prosegur ensures the safety and security of players, staff, and attendees during the Mutua Madrid Open. Their expertise and services help create a secure environment for everyone involved in the event.
The Mutua Madrid Open’s success is a testament to the collaboration between its owners and numerous sponsors, who play a crucial role in the event’s operations, promotion, and overall experience for players and fans alike. With IMG’s acquisition and the continued support from these valuable sponsors, the Mutua Madrid Open is poised for even greater heights in the world of professional tennis.
How do the sponsors contribute to the success of the Mutua Madrid Open?
Each sponsor provides unique products, services, or expertise to the event, such as financial support, media coverage, technology solutions, transportation, apparel, equipment, hospitality, and security. Their collective support plays a vital role in enhancing the overall experience for players and fans.
Has the change in ownership affected the sponsor lineup for the Mutua Madrid Open?
The acquisition of the Mutua Madrid Open by IMG in 2021 has not significantly impacted the existing sponsor lineup. The tournament continues to receive strong support from its diverse array of sponsors, ensuring its ongoing success and growth in the world of professional tennis.