Last Updated on February 2, 2019
Dutch tennis player Kiki Bertens commented on reaching the final tournament in St. Petersburg.
– Tell us about this victory.
– Very difficult match. She spent an incredible year and played very aggressively. I did well. I tried to choose a good time to strike, thinking through each of them. Satisfied with the result.
– How did you manage to beat Sabalenka?
– We have already met, and I knew that she punches very powerfully, especially from the forehand. So I wanted to make her run and beat her in the body or under the left.
– Did not you think that the hall is sick against you?
– Any support is good. It’s nice to play in front of such great fans. Some guys were rooting for me, and that’s great.
– You won all three matches against Arina. Tell about them.
– On the “Fed Cup” was an equal match, in Minsk – then everyone was rooting for her. Today was the most difficult of our duel, because she added. It was her best tennis against me. It was not easy.
– Tell us about your progress.
– When I was younger – about three years ago – I went to the semifinals of Paris and after that I learned how to cope with pressure. Attention after success keeps in suspense. Then I was not ready, but now everything is easier. Now I am much more collected, it allows you to relax more.
– Tell us about your performance at the Final in Singapore.
– It was cool to play there. During the year I was close to the debut in the Top 10 and in a performance in Singapore. I really wanted this and hope that I will spend this year powerfully.
– Tell us about your expectations from the final.
– Difficult match, with whom I would not play. In Brisbane, I already played with Vekic: I had match points, but I lost. I hope that tomorrow’s final will be a good opportunity to take the title.