Last Updated on February 2, 2019
Belarusian Aryna Sabalenka in an interview to sportbox.ru told about her work with Russian Dmitry Tursunov.
– You said that you hit the top ten coach. And remember that moment when you clearly understood that this is your man and you will work together for sure?
– Honestly, it happened somehow gradually. Dmitry began to explain some things, and I – to understand that everything is exactly as he says. We began to watch the top players, what they do on the court. I realized that the moments about which the coach tells me are not nonsense, that I can use this in my game, and I started to get it. Gradually, I began to trust him and understand that this person can lead me to achieve my goals.
– What is the main motivational advice Dmitry gave you?
– I am not the person you need to motivate. I motivate myself. There are more tactical, psychological moments …
– Then, maybe, he somehow surprised you in terms of tactical training?
The point is that strength is in simplicity. Many coaches like to invent something, hide some incredible things, but in fact everything is much easier than it seems. That is, playing at this level is, of course, difficult. But tennis itself is not such a difficult game as people present it.
– You said with such healthy insolence that the tenth place in the rating is far from the limit of dreams. The top line – the goal already for this year, or what position would suit you by the end of the season?
– It all depends on tennis, and the first line is a consequence. Initially, I am more focused on action. Each match reveals me more and more. I feel that I still have a lot to improve, in many ways to add. That’s why I said that the tenth line is not the limit of my dreams.