Swiss tennis player Stan Wawrinka shared his expectations of the confrontation with Serb Novak Djokovic in the fourth round of the US Open, and also spoke about his friendship with Roger Federer.
– Does it surprise you that you have met Novak 24 times already?
– I played with Roger and Rafa at least. This trinity has been a leader for a hundred years now. They win almost all tournaments. Therefore, if somewhere you go far along the grid, you will inevitably fall on one of them. I often played with them, often lost.
– But in two very important matches you won.
– In three (smiles).
– You have one of the best, if not the best nickname in tennis – Stanimal. It is believed that it was invented by Roger. It’s true?
– It’s like that.
– Federer said that he himself does not have nicknames. What do you call him?
– I will not say, this is definitely not for printing (laughs).
“And Roger is calling you Diesel, because you need time to warm up.”
– Yes, sometimes. In general, we have many different nicknames for each other. We spent a lot of time together while playing in the Tour, Davis Cup, and Olympics. Over the years, many nicknames have appeared.
– Can you name some?
– Definitely not (laughs).