Greek tennis player Stefanos Tsitsipas shared his impressions after the in the semifinal of the Australian Open.
– You once said that you learned a lot about the game Nadal after the final in Toronto. Now he began to act differently?
– Of course, there is no doubt about it.
– What has changed?
– Changed the level of aggression and play on the pitch.
– Still consider yourself the happiest person in the world? Did you learn any lesson after this fight?
– To be honest, I do not know. I had no chance of winning
– I won only six games. Feeling at the moment strange. I am pleased with the way I spent the tournament, but right now I’m upset. I understand that I could play much better. Moreover, it seems that there could be no other outcome.
– Rafael managed to surprise you?
– Of course. He does not have a powerful feed. But at the same time, I could not make a break. So I am upset. Rafa was very aggressive on the back line. It is unlikely that I will be able to extract any positive from this meeting. Only in the second game I was able to impose at least some kind of struggle on him. In general, I got the impression that I didn’t get close to the level of the game that I had shown in previous matches.
Nadal does not feel your rhythm. Acts in a very specific manner, not at all like the others. His main skill is to make the opponent play badly. He has such a talent. I didn’t want to finish the competition. I hoped that I would be able to take the set and fight. But today I could not.
My brain is used to a certain rhythm. Before that, right-handers opposed me, and I was ready for it. With Rafael, I had the feeling that I always start on the wrong foot. I felt very slow, although I usually play at a fast pace. Today I could not move at all, although usually it is my trump card.
– Feeling tired? Recently you have played a lot of matches.
– My thoughts were far from the court, it is true. I could not really get into the game. It was as if I was sleeping, always being one step behind.