Romanian tennis player Simone Halep in an interview with the press service of the Australian Open shared her impressions of the victory.
– What do you think about the match ended?
– The meeting was very interesting. We both demonstrated excellent tennis, especially in view of the first round. I got a strong opponent, so I am pleased with the final result. For me, this victory is of great importance, because before the tournament I was not confident in my abilities. After the competition in Cincinnati, I did not win, so I am glad of such a successful start of the “major”.
– How difficult is it to confront an athlete like Kaia Kanepi?
– Incredibly hard. I lost to her in the first round of the US Open, and this put additional pressure on me. However, I told myself that I had nothing to lose. She had a powerful blow, so it was impossible to immediately seize the initiative. Nevertheless, I continued to struggle, and this brought me success.
– You occupy the first place in the ranking but have not won a long time. How seriously does it affect you?
– If I thought about it constantly, I would not be able to play at all. I try to drive away such thoughts from myself. I took a certain risk, having come to Australia later, but I wanted to be at home. It was necessary for me, and I do not regret anything.
– What do you think leadership in the ranking and the victory on the “Slams” helped you grow up?
– I can definitely say that I have become calmer. As for growing up, I’m not sure (smiles). Now I definitely do not feel pressure because of the results, but the motivation has not disappeared anywhere.