Romanian Simona Halep commented on her victory in the Wimbledon final .
“I understood that I needed to act aggressively in every draw so that Serena could not get into the game.” So it was impossible to fall out of the game for a second. I am pleased with my actions and the whole tournament, because I managed to beat Serena herself on the grass.
After last year’s success at Roland Garros, I felt very tired by the end of the season, so I took a long vacation and promised to relax this year, but I didn’t mean tennis. On the court, I continued to work as before. Thanks to that, I’m here.
– You said that your mother dreamed that you won at Wimbledon. What did she say to you after the final?
– Nothing, she cried, so I just hugged and kissed her.
– You showed a great game. How did you manage it?
– I focused on the match, on the fact that this is the final of “Slam”, but at the same time I tried to forget who was on the other side of the net. I used to be a little afraid to play with Serena. Today I was able to relax and feel self-confidence.
– When did you believe that you could win Wimbledon?
– Today. On the grass, tall players usually win with a strong pitch. But gradually I adapted my game to this cover.
– How do you think, how in Romania will react to your success?
– I don’t know, I’m still waiting for the champion dinner, so I’m not going home yet.
– Try to describe your emotions from winning?
– When I won the last draw, my legs became wadded. I did not quite understand how to react, but I felt incredible happiness and ease that I wanted to share.
– Did the previous experience help you in the finals?
– Yes, because in the final of “Helmet” it is important not to get lost and not to burn out. The lost finals taught me to perceive them as ordinary matches.
– Some players after the first victory at the “major” do not believe that they can do it again. Others, on the contrary, it liberates. How was it with you?
– I believed in myself. After the first victory, you realize that this is a completely doable task, and everything becomes a bit simpler.
– Why did you want to become a member of the club? Will you come here?
– Of course. When Philip Brooke handed me a badge, he said that I could come for lunch, dinner, and at any other time. I will definitely come.