Last Updated on November 5, 2021
Argentine tennis player Nadia Podoroska commented on her victory over Elina Svitolina in the quarterfinals of Roland Garros in her interview to “Big Tennis of Ukraine“.
– Did you pinch yourself?
– Excuse me, what do you mean?
– (translates into Spanish)
– No, I do not want to wake up (smiling).
– You said that you worked a lot before the season resumed. What has changed in your game? When did you feel that your level had increased?
– I trained a lot of my strokes, forward, backhand, serve. But I think I have grown most of all in terms of mentality.
– You are from Rosario, where Messi and Di Maria also come from. In 2008, they won a gold medal at the Olympics. Next year you will participate in the Olympics. Do you think you can bring another gold medal?
– I would like to. It will be very cool. It will be my first Olympiad. I will try to enjoy the participation.
– It was already the eighth match for you in Paris. How do you feel? It seems that today was your first match. What is your physical condition?
– Fortunately, I feel fresh. Nothing hurts me and nothing bothers me. Before Roland Garros I won the tournament. There are five more matches. Fortunately, I am all right.
– I will ask a question that does not concern women’s tennis. Every evening we discuss the possibility of a final between Rafa and Novak. What are your thoughts?
– The question is, who will win?
– Will there be a final between Nadal and Djokovic?
– No, no. I think the final will be Diego Schwartzman (laughs).
– Can you believe that you are the first Argentinean woman in the semi-final since 2004?
– This is a very special moment for me. We don’t have many tennis tournaments in Latin America. It is very hard for girls in tennis. So I think it’s very good that I show such results. Perhaps, it will help young tennis players.
– A few days ago in an interview in Spanish you said that there was a period when you doubted whether to continue playing tennis. When was this period? What was the hardest period in your career?
– It was two or three years ago. I was haunted by injuries. I lost my rating. I had no money to start playing tennis again. It was a very difficult period in my life also because I changed my whole team. I worked with my previous coach for 10 years before we broke up. I was confused and didn’t know what to do.
– How many people are in your team now?
– At the moment I live in Alicante. I am coached by Juan Pablo Guzman and Emiliano Redondi. In Argentina I have a physio Diego Rodriguez. My doctor Martiniano is in Argentina with Diego. He has a good relationship with Juan Cabal. I have a big team. In Alicante, I have another physio, Fernando Nicolau. That is why I have two bases in Argentina and Alicante.
Video: Last point in the match between Nadia Podoroska and Elina Svitolina
Cinderella, it’s not midnight yet 🇦🇷@nadiapodoroska becomes the first women’s qualifier to reach the semi-finals in Paris upsetting Svitolina 6-2 6-4.#RolandGarros pic.twitter.com/0T9Fxfg4S8
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) October 6, 2020
Recommended article: STEFANOS TSITSIPAS: RUBLEV AND I PLAY IN A SIMILAR MANNER.