Last Updated on January 12, 2019
Japanese tennis player Kei Nishikori in an interview with the press service of the Australian Open shared his expectations from playing at the tournament.
– Title in Brisbane added you confidence?
– I am sure that yes. As a rule, I play quite well in local competitions, but I have never won a trophy, and I have never taken titles before the Australian Open. I am glad that I finally succeeded. It was impossible to think of a better start to the season. Nice to speak again at the highest level. It’s great to be in Melbourne again and have the opportunity to play at the Australian Open.
– You managed to reach the quarter-finals several times. What is needed to achieve more?
– I hope that I will be able to repeat this result. In general, I am aiming to perform well at all the “majors” of the season. Of course, this requires a lot. You need to train hard and try to avoid injury. You should also be prepared for frequent changes in weather conditions and carefully approach each match.
“How did Andy Murray respond?”
– It is difficult to somehow comment on this. I am very sad. It was obvious that he continued to experience problems, but this news was a big surprise for me. I am truly sorry for Andy. He is a great player, and I learned a lot from him. I want to believe that he changes his mind.