Last Updated on January 21, 2019
German tennis player Alexander Zverev commented on the defeat in the fourth round of the Australian Open.
– I played badly. The first two sets were especially terrible. It is difficult to single out one thing. Bad filed, bad acted from the back line. Against such a strong opponent it is difficult to recover from such a start.
– At what point did you realize that you could not play your tennis?
– In the first set, when he took my serve for the second time. But naturally, I continued to try to enter the match and played a little better in the third set. But it was too late.
– Perhaps the success of the past season affected?
– There is some. I have a short offseason, I didn’t have much rest. But this is the life of a tennis player. I am pleased with how I finished the season. I would not want to change anything.
– What’s wrong with your feed?
– The second serve I have not been going all week. There is no rhythm, so I tried to find it. Hopefully the next time will come out better.
– Is there a competition among the NextGen generation?
– Well no. Personally for my part, no. I was very happy for Tiafoe that he reached his first quarter final. We are close friends with him. For other young guys, I am also happy. I wish them all the best. This is only one tournament. It makes no sense every week to consider who reached where the semi- or quarter-finals, whom he beat. Yes, I want to always be the best, but this week did not happen.
– Despite what happened today, are you looking to the future with optimism?
– Well, I’m not happy right now, but not depressed either. It’s ok. This is not the end of the world. If every defeat is perceived as the end of the world, I will be depressed 15-20 times a year. I do not plan to do this.